[NYC 2013] Day 11: NYC (Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn)

DAY 11 (5 Nov 2013): NYC 
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Grimaldi's
- Walk around Brooklyn 

On this day, my friends and I were set out to traverse across the Brooklyn Bridge, and walk around Brooklyn.

So for those who didn't know, I'm an engineer working on the Second Penang Bridge Project (long story short, I'm working for the concessionaire company / owner of the bridge, where the bridge is the second link connecting the Penang Island to the Malaysian mainland). I've been working at the company for almost 5 years now (my last month here is this February 2014, in fact), so I've had some sort of fascination with the evolution of bridge construction methods as well as the aesthetic aspect of bridges.

Apparently, the US has been one of the leading countries (along with Switzerland and France and Europe in general) in terms of bridge construction methods as well as bridge's aesthetics appreciation. One of the most iconic suspension bridges is the Brooklyn Bridge, which is John Roebling's (1806 - 1869) arguably most famous work. This was before the "discovery" of the many uses of reinforced concrete in bridge construction, and thus steel has an ironfist rule at the time. The bridge has a main span of 488m, which at the time of its construction, was one of the longest at the time made possible by technology. 

Aesthetically, it's not an exaggeration to say that the Brooklyn Bridge is truly one of the most pleasing and iconic bridges around. It was said that Roebling had particularly chosen the pointed arch for the masonry towers (which can be seen in the pictures below), which was one of the major reasons for the aesthetic success of the bridge. And most importantly, Roebling's design actually managed to combine so many aesthetic and construction factors which actually resulted in a cost-effective bridge. Today, it's hard to argue with his success when everyone will want to pay a visit to the Brooklyn Bridge if they ever get to New York City. Unfortunately, Roebling didn't live to see his final "masterpiece" completed in 1883, and that's a major shame. 

One of the things I most loved about Brooklyn Bridge was the pedestrian (and bicyclist) walkway. I mean, honestly, it's such a simple thing, but it's one of the most often overlooked aspect. There's not a lot of bridges where you can just walk along for a stroll, certainly not in Malaysia. There's a lot of bridges I would love to visit when I get the chance to (mostly bridges in Switzerland and Japan), and I'm glad I managed to stroll along the Brooklyn Bridge for the second time (the last time I came here with my family, I didn't really appreciate the aesthetic aspects of bridges ;P I was fifteen!). I wish bridge aesthetics would play a more major role in the bridge construction aspect in Malaysia.

Anyway, enough poetic paragraphs about bridges: onto the pictures!






























It's been a day well spent :) And yes we did watch The Lion King - it was awesome and well worth the money!!! Rafiki was my favourite <3


0 comments: